Monday, October 8, 2007

Eleven Days. Three Countries. What a Ride.

We never did make it to Myanmar, perhaps for the best. The visas we applied for were only good to fly into Myanmar, not by bus as we had planned. No matter, there’s always time in life to conquer/visit any and all the nations on the planet. That may be the naïve spouts of a freshly-returned student traveler.

Eleven days and three countries was more ambitious than I had realized. In retrospect, eleven days and four countries without a detailed plan was stupid. Well, it’s foolish at the least for two girls who have a flare for setting out on ill-planned trips.

After a while, we realized our excursion was becoming less of the vacation we had pictured and was quickly morphing into one of those backpacking adventures only carefree, not-so-well-traveled students in their twenties can have. Now personally understanding the term ‘weary travelers,’ I am glad to be back in the comforts of my temporary home in Hong Kong. What a relief it is to know where my bed will be at the end of the night, not to worry about what will happen the next day, how to keep the mosquitoes away, when we shall have to leave this city for the next etc. Trust me, it was as crazy as it sounds. There was never a time when worry plagued us, only fatigue and an ache for familiarity and stability.

We took in as many sights, experiences and especially food as we could take. The nights on the beaches of Thailand, in the bustling streets of Bangkok, walking through the grand temples of Malaysia will stay with me forever. I can never regret or forget any of these experiences. Of the people we met, the foods that we ate, the sounds and smells – everything. I’m positive that after I spend time with some well-deserved rest to ease away the aches and weariness of travel, the good memories will banish away the bad. I can’t wait for my newly bronzed, bruised and battered body to become mine again.

I’m considering scanning and posting the journal I kept while on the trip. My devotion and vigilance surprised and surprises me still. The voice is a simple one, retelling the happenings of the day, and the penmanship is a sloppy one, forsaken to always need clarification. I’ll let you guys decide if I should or not.
Oh yes – another installment of pictures will be coming soon. Be patient. I’m finally becoming the student I should be – that is until I leave next Tuesday for India…

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great opening line...