Monday, September 10, 2007

Ikigai

I'm finally taking my first anthropology class: The Meanings of Life. Before even reading the course description, I knew I had to take it. How could I possibly pass up a chance like this? To learn the 'meanings of life?' I've just returned from the second session of the semester, and I wanted to propose a question to all of you before I head off to dinner:

What do you live for?

Being an anthropology class, societal stressors and drivers as well as cultural ones should be taken into account, and that's what I want to gain from this class: a little perspective. For now, I ask of you to let me know yours. What do you live for? What means the most to you?

The title of this post: ikigai, is a Japanese term my professor (most animated since CMS306m's Prof. Moode) repeatedly brings around. It embodies the subject matter we each hold most dear to us. I love the fact that the Japanese culture has assigned a word to such a thought.

If you're feeling bold enough or have nothing to do, I'd love to know. You can message me through my Meebo widget either anonymously or signed, comment on this post or email me.

Actually...I'd love to hear from you all no matter what the subject matter is.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

If you had to translate Ikigai into English (best as you could), what would be its part of speech? What is the proper usage?

What is your Ikigai?

Anita S. said...

My personal translation:

Ikigai is the reason an individual lives his/her life for and gets up in the mornings to go through the motions of a typical day.

Disclaimer: I'm not one to go to extremes. You know this. So I can't quite identify my own ikigai. I am perfectly content with the realization that I may not have one.

By the way sister, I asked the question first, and you never answered.

Unknown said...

I don't suppose I know either, and I think I'll sacrifice my content in not knowing for a day or two while I explore. I think, though, that I'll be content in ignorance by the weekend.

You didn't answer my question either. I was not asking what YOUR Ikigai was, but rather, what the proper usage was.

"What is your Ikigai?" was simply an example of usage.

Anita S. said...

I've spent sporadic moments dwelling on this, and I can't say I've surfaced a solid answer.

I honestly don't believe I have one at this point in life. I don't attribute it to ignorance though.

Unknown said...

you still didn't answer the question...The question is:

What is the proper usage of the term?

Anita S. said...

Your original post included two questions.

You never specified which one to answer.

And what sort of answer are you looking for when you refer to 'usage?'